The Stowe Free Library sees over 140,000 people a year walk through its doors, each of whom has his/her own information needs. It is only with the help of our volunteers that the staff of the Stowe Free Library can provide the highest quality customer service to its patrons. Volunteers enable the library to accomplish far more than would be otherwise possible. A volunteer is anyone who, without compensation or expectation of compensation beyond reimbursement for legitimate library-approved expenses, performs a task at the direction of and on behalf of the library.
The volunteer will be asked:
- To work with the library staff in setting up a mutually agreeable work schedule.
- To be reliable and to give the library reasonable notice when unable to attend.
- To notify a staff member with any problem related to the work at the library.
- To respect patron confidentiality.
- To undertake any training required.
- To follow policy guidelines established by the library.
- To become familiar with the locations of materials within the library.
- To function as a goodwill ambassador for the library.
Volunteers at the Stowe Free Library may choose from a variety of tasks and time commitments. Specific tasks and various time commitments are described in the SFL Volunteer Handbook. Volunteers will receive on-the-job training to provide them with the information and skills necessary to perform their volunteer assignments. The timing and methods for receiving such training should be applicable to the complexity and demands of the assignment.
The library accepts the service of volunteers with the understanding that such service is at the sole discretion of the library. The library and/or the volunteer may at any time choose to discontinue the volunteer services. Notice of such a decision should be communicated as soon as possible to the volunteer and/or the librarian who oversees the volunteers.
While volunteers shall not be utilized to displace any paid employees from their positions, it is important that volunteers be thoroughly trained in their designated duties at the library and be allowed to serve in any reasonable capacity, as the Director sees fit.
Written and approved by the Stowe Free Library Board of Trustees in June 2010; revised May 2013.
There are many ways to enlarge your child's world. Love of books is the best of all.Jacqueline Kennedy